Direct computer interfacing

Post your suggestions for new tutorials or anything here!
Hojima

Direct computer interfacing

Post by Hojima » June 17th, 2013, 11:19 am

I liked the "Hello World" tutorial, but I'm curious as to how the mechanisms in the AVR interface work under the hood. I'd like to be able to take a cable (USB, ethernet, serial, etc.), cut it in half and jam the wires into the i/o pins, write some driver in c, and print out ascii characters to the screen from a ROM through this communication medium. I'm assuming there's a lot more involved, but I'd really appreciate to learn about the abstractions between physical devices and software, no matter how simple. To simplify things, you could also simply send data via TCP through ethernet, and write a simple client program in java.

edit: I did a little bit of searching, and UDP might be easier.

embmicro
Site Admin

Re: Direct computer interfacing

Post by embmicro » June 20th, 2013, 2:50 pm

The simplest way to get direct communication is to use serial. We are going to have new tutorial that cover basic communication protocols (serial, SPI, I2C) soon. Protocols like USB and Ethernet are much more complicated and can require extra hardware.

You can checkout the serial modules used by the AVR interface to get an idea of how to do it. The AVR basically just acts like a USB->Serial device as far as the FPGA is concerned.

Hojima

Post by Hojima » June 21st, 2013, 8:05 am

Thanks, looking forward to it.

UberNoober

Post by UberNoober » March 6th, 2014, 12:29 am

That SPI tutorial hasn't shown up, yet, has it? I don't see it anywhere... :-)

embmicro
Site Admin

Post by embmicro » March 18th, 2014, 11:31 am

The SPI Tutorial is here http://embeddedmicro.com/tutorials/mojo ... erface-spi

There isn't an I2C tutorial yet, but this forum post may help. http://embeddedmicro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=112

UberNoober

Post by UberNoober » March 27th, 2014, 7:42 pm

This is really useful. Thank you! I am hoping to drive an LCD touchscreen for a fun little project that I am working on, but -- as I have learned more about the LCD displays -- I am realizing that I might want to just drive the display with the Arduino / AVR. (There are already libraries for that.) I will post my results when / if I can get any.

Thanks again!