suggested tweaks for embedded processors tutorial

Post your suggestions for new tutorials or anything here!
russm

suggested tweaks for embedded processors tutorial

Post by russm » June 14th, 2014, 6:48 am

Some suggestions for the Embedded Processors tutorial:

Up front, the EDK doesn't work on a pure 64-bit Linux system (the the toolchain is shipped as 32-bit binaries). On 64-bit Debian, the required support can be installed by running these commands (as root). If 32-bit support isn't present, the error message is less than helpful - it looks like mb-as can't be found, rather than can't be executed.

Code: Select all

dpkg --add-architecture i386; aptitude update; aptitude install libc6:i386 zlib1g:i386
Also, the BSP creation tools expect make to be available as gmake, which isn't the case in (at least) Debian. The simplest fix is to provide a gmake symlink.

Code: Select all

ln -s ../../bin/make /usr/local/bin/gmake

In the existing body of the tutorial:
Right click on Implement Design in the Processes panel with mojo_top selected in the Hierarchy panel. Choose Properties.

Under the Other Ngdbuild Command Line Options you should see -bm "ipcore_dir/microblaze_mcs.bmm". Replace that with -bm "../ipcore_dir/microblaze_mcs.bmm"
In the Process Properties dialog (not just Properties), it's worth noting that the ngdbuild options item is in the Translate Properties category, and doesn't appear unless Property Display Level is set to Advanced (default is Standard).
Now you can create a project for your actual code. Click File->New->Other... and choose Application Project under Xilinx.
can just be File->New->Application Project
Open the project folder on the left for your project, LED_Controller.
note: if this is the first run of xsdk, everything interesting here is hidden behind the "Welcome..." tab. Close this tab to see the main EDG GUI.