Cross Platform Simulation

otzen42

Cross Platform Simulation

Post by otzen42 » March 23rd, 2014, 6:55 pm

Just found Icarus Verilog today. It's a free Verilog simulator which supports simulation (including Xilinx primitives) cross-platform.

http://iverilog.icarus.com

Have it working great on my Mac. Combined with GTK Wave (see the Icarus Verilog Website for details) I'm set. It lacks a few bells and whistles you get with other simulators, but after spending 2 months and countless Linux distress trying to get iSim to work this makes for an excellent free alternative.

One note, I had some issues with a few of the Xilinx simulation primitives (GTX tiles and configuration logic mainly), so rather than including all of the primitives as suggested on their site I just copied the few I needed from unisims (/opt/Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS/ISE/verilog/src/unisims) into a directory and included them in my source list. Be sure to also grab glbl.v (/opt/Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS/ISE/verilog/src/glbl.v) and include it in your source list as well. Also will want to make sure you add a -s flag for both you top-level test-bench module as well as glbl.

If you don't directly instantiate any buffers or other primitives you probably don't need to worry about the Xilinx primitives at all.

otzen42

Re: Cross Platform Simulation

Post by otzen42 » July 13th, 2014, 4:32 pm

Update: Sad to report that Icarus doesn't support RAMs. Not sure why, but you cannot simulate a design using RAMs.

Still a good solution though if you are like me and are having a hard time finding a Linux distro that is supported by iSim.