Possible to get Open-Source-FPGA-Bitcoin-Miner running?

Projects you are planning or working on with the Mojo
tabbek

Possible to get Open-Source-FPGA-Bitcoin-Miner running?

Post by tabbek » May 18th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Any chance of adapting this to the Mojo?

https://github.com/fpgaminer/Open-Sourc ... coin-Miner

Pacemk

Re: Possible to get Open-Source-FPGA-Bitcoin-Miner running?

Post by Pacemk » May 29th, 2013, 9:17 pm

It should not be very difficult : the spartan-6 is one of the chip which is supported in the projet. The only modification will be on the UART port i supposed.
I'm not a very good VHDL programmer, but if I achived to run this on the Mojo, I will tell you.

PS : if a good / competent VHDL coder is interrested by this projet, I think it should be a good idea !

tabbek

Post by tabbek » May 30th, 2013, 12:36 am

I've poked at it a bit, but I'm still more at the "Ooo I can make the LEDs blink in fun ways" / beginner-with-a-rolling-start sort of level. Still need to make the time to dive into the comm part of the hello world tutorial.
Mostly been trying to wrap my head around the communication portion, and nervous about screwing something up and letting out the magic smoke. Always paranoid with the new experiment toys... cant let the magic smoke out :lol:

... my desk is starting to become covered with all sorts of card-deck sized boards... I think I like this 'problem'

Pacemk

Post by Pacemk » May 30th, 2013, 5:43 pm

The best version of the github project you linked should be this one :
https://github.com/fpgaminer/Open-Sourc ... ilinx_Port
or a version for the LX150 (which is a bigger version on the one on the Mojo) in Verilog
https://github.com/fpgaminer/Open-Sourc ... LX150_Test

There is all the modifications needed for xilinx devices (the main project is Quartus (Altera) oriented).
The top entity is actually quite simple :

entity top is
port (
clk_in : in STD_LOGIC;
tx : out STD_LOGIC;
rx : in STD_LOGIC
);
end top;

I didn't have the time to read all the code yet (and maybe not the level...yet !) but working on the UART link is the first part of the job IMHO. It maybe is all right just like this, I'll try to see that this week end.

Pacemk

Post by Pacemk » May 30th, 2013, 8:58 pm

I just tried to build the code (with some very little modification in order to build for the SPARTAN-6 on the Mojo) :

This is the rapport of the attemps of mapping :

Slice Logic Utilization:
Number of Slice Registers: 87,493 out of 11,440 764% (OVERMAPPED)
Number of Slice LUTs: 36,918 out of 5,720 645% (OVERMAPPED)
Number of MUXCYs used: 21,664 out of 2,860 757% (OVERMAPPED)

So with this version of the code, it's impossible to route the bitcoin miner on the Mojo : A spartan XC6SLX150 or XC6SLX100 for example (with 10x or 15x more slice) is needed.

There is maybe some part to remove to clear some slice. But the overmap is so huge that i'm not very optimistic.

liquidcpu

Post by liquidcpu » June 6th, 2013, 6:13 pm

This fellow rewrote the fpga code. Perhaps his version will fit on the mojo chip?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=22415.0

Pacemk

Post by Pacemk » June 6th, 2013, 10:03 pm

If the guy post the code (smb juste ask this 5 days ago), I'm ok to try to adapt it for the Mojo.

PS : only if VHDL ! :D

Fx

forum2005

Post by forum2005 » June 8th, 2013, 5:46 am

Pacemk wrote:If the guy post the code (smb juste ask this 5 days ago), I'm ok to try to adapt it for the Mojo.

PS : only if VHDL ! :D

Fx
I'm interesting in using MOJO for mining too, How can i help ?.

tabbek

Post by tabbek » June 8th, 2013, 5:38 pm

for the sake of additional research, found this while trolling the bitcointalk.org forums

https://github.com/kramble/DE0-Nano-Bit ... _hashers_6

Reference thread:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=220240.0

kramble

Post by kramble » June 8th, 2013, 6:10 pm

Yeah, that's me. This was a bit of a side project as I'd been working on a port for fpgaminer to DE0-Nano (Altera Cyclone IV), but I wanted to try out Xilinx too, so being adventurous (foolish) rather than getting a dev board, I just got hold of a LX9 144pin TQFP and soldered it onto a TQFP adapter (plus a bunch of capacitors, totally outside the design guidelines). Amazingly it worked.

Anyway, the code is Verilog. It uses a 20MHz clock oscillator (the slowest supported). Comms is via a customised serial protocol at 4800 baud (you can see the code for the host software on my github, its the same as I use to drive the DE0-Nano, it runs on a rapsberry pi and is pretty crude).

The fpga utilization is only about 50% but even so its tricky to get it to compile, just changing the pinout can break it. I'm pretty much an amateur at this, so don't expect any sophistication!

So to port it to your board you'll have to modify the pinout, clock source and the serial comms.

Any questions let me know, I'll check back here occasionally over the next few days. Or register at bitcointalk and join the fun.