ZPUino for Mojo?

Projects you are planning or working on with the Mojo
dpavlin

ZPUino for Mojo?

Post by dpavlin » May 6th, 2013, 6:38 am

While my Mojo is still on the way to me, I spent some time exploring possibilities to get started with it once it arrives. This is how I came across ZPUino http://www.alvie.com/zpuino/ which seems to me like very interesting project.

In a nutshell (if you hate to click on link above) it's Arduino environment and small SOC implementation for FPGA which can make experiments with FPGA easy to do (without re-flashing FPGA itself). While this goes somewhat against a grain of Mojo (we should be using VHDL directly :-) I'm interesting if you see any obstacles to port it to Mojo. We don't have flash on Mojo, but latest version also has ability to load Arduino sketch in RAM. Other than that is seems that we have enough gates to implement it... Is there interest in something like that?

Pacemk

Re: ZPUino for Mojo?

Post by Pacemk » May 31st, 2013, 2:32 pm

It could be a great idea to port ZPUino on Mojo : the board itself is a good choice for a Arduino-like FPGA port.

And with the Atmel CPU on the Mojo, ADC is also possible.

I can't see anay obstacles to port it. Only maybe the lack of an external RAM could be a problem.

neslekkim

Post by neslekkim » June 17th, 2013, 2:58 pm

It's already running on the Papilio Pro, which is also using spartan6, lx9, so porting should only be needed for pin-assignments?

markhu

Post by markhu » August 23rd, 2013, 12:07 pm

I'd be interested in getting the ZPU running on the Mojo FPGA board.
What is the issue with the flash memory? Is it not directly accessible from the Spartan6?
Does this mean the Mojo board would have difficulty running the various Pac-Man clones and other arcade games? Because in addition to implementing the old hardware emulation in VHDL, they also have to be able to load the original ROM images.