HDMI/DisplayPort video splitter -> multi Parallel RGB

Projects you are planning or working on with the Mojo
kevindefinit

HDMI/DisplayPort video splitter -> multi Parallel RGB

Post by kevindefinit » September 30th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Hello,

I'm very new to the world of FPGA's and I'm trying to figure out the complexity/feasibility of this project idea using the Mojo. I would like to split an incoming DVI or DisplayPort video signal (~1080p resolution) to 12 potential parallel RGB outputs. Is this even possible to do with the Mojo? I know that the Spartan6 should have the power to do it but having a better sense of the other circuitry needed would be great. Thanks for any information/advice in advance!

embmicro
Site Admin

Re: HDMI/DisplayPort video splitter -> multi Parallel RGB

Post by embmicro » October 1st, 2015, 1:00 pm

I'm unfamiliar with DisplayPort, but we are working on an HDMI shield that will have HDMI in/out capabilities. However, note that the Spartan 6 used on the Mojo can't handle 1080p@60hz. You can do 720p@60hz or 1080i@60hz or 1080p@30hz. Checkout this Xilinx doc for more info.

The Mojo just really needs a physical adapter to connect the pins to the display signal. You need to be careful with the routing though as they are high-speed differential pairs. Other than that, you just need to drive the LEDs somehow (ie transistors or LEDs with built in drivers).

For what it's worth, I had no trouble getting 720p@60hz out of the prototype shield. It will be a little while before the shield is ready for sale though.

eeyrw

Post by eeyrw » July 31st, 2016, 9:21 pm

embmicro wrote:I'm unfamiliar with DisplayPort, but we are working on an HDMI shield that will have HDMI in/out capabilities. However, note that the Spartan 6 used on the Mojo can't handle 1080p@60hz. You can do 720p@60hz or 1080i@60hz or 1080p@30hz. Checkout this Xilinx doc for more info.

The Mojo just really needs a physical adapter to connect the pins to the display signal. You need to be careful with the routing though as they are high-speed differential pairs. Other than that, you just need to drive the LEDs somehow (ie transistors or LEDs with built in drivers).

For what it's worth, I had no trouble getting 720p@60hz out of the prototype shield. It will be a little while before the shield is ready for sale though.
So is there any HDMI shield ready to sale so far?

embmicro
Site Admin

Post by embmicro » August 23rd, 2016, 4:35 pm

Not yet, but we're still working on it.