CMOS Sensor

Projects you are planning or working on with the Mojo
TheIntern

CMOS Sensor

Post by TheIntern » May 6th, 2015, 9:49 pm

I'm brand new to FPGA and want to know if there is any literature out there on how to integrate CMOS sensors with FPGAs? I'd like to use the Mojo for image processing. I have a solid understanding of micro controllers and code but FPGAs are an exciting new world for me. I know there are a few camera shields out there but I'd like to use a bare sensor instead. The camera needs to have some length away from the board.

Any reference or a starting point would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

embmicro
Site Admin

Re: CMOS Sensor

Post by embmicro » May 7th, 2015, 11:24 am

Have you seen our hexapod project and the blob tracking page? We used a camera module, but you can put it on a cable. However, the pinout of the camera prevents the cable from being very long (due to signal issues). That's why it we wrapped it in foil. You can use a different camera, the interfaces are generally very similar so this should be a good starting point.

TheIntern

Post by TheIntern » May 8th, 2015, 10:05 am

Thanks for the links. My project involves using a very small CMOS sensor. Something similar to this:

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/8667

I imagine all I would need to do is write some code similar to the camera files you have for the Hexapod. All I need the FPGA to do is process incoming data from the sensor and output an image.

embmicro
Site Admin

Post by embmicro » May 9th, 2015, 12:32 pm

Yea a quick look at the data sheet seems like it has a similar interface. The only huge difference is the register settings. You'll have to find or come up with a set that will configure the camera how you want.

jbeale

Post by jbeale » May 18th, 2015, 3:01 pm

The MIPI CSI-2 interface was designed for cell phones, so it was never intended to drive long cables. That said, it can do more than you might think. The OmniVision OV5647 as used on the Raspberry Pi has been demonstrated to work through a 5 meter cable (in this case, physically a HDMI cable but using an adaptor "hack" to carry the CSI-2 electrical signals direct from the camera). https://www.tindie.com/products/freto/p ... -extension

@embmicro : I liked the camera module you showed at the Bay Area Makerfaire this past weekend. Maybe I misunderstood you about whether it was on your website already; I didn't see it listed under products?

embmicro
Site Admin

Post by embmicro » June 3rd, 2015, 11:02 am

Sorry I didn't see this sooner, but it wasn't on our site until a few days after the Maker Faire. You can get it now though!