ISE 14.7 Officially Supports Windows 10!

General discussion about the Mojo
Flux

ISE 14.7 Officially Supports Windows 10!

Post by Flux » December 19th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Xilinx have just announced that ISE 14.7 officially supports Windows 10:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/download ... ndows.html

I've not tried this yet, but it looks like good news for Mojo users. However, there's no update for Linux and ISE is still on the way out, so I think an Artix-7 Mojo is still the right thing in the medium term.

eastwood0

Re: ISE 14.7 Officially Supports Windows 10!

Post by eastwood0 » January 2nd, 2018, 1:23 am

Sure, good news!

GNF

Post by GNF » January 2nd, 2018, 7:03 pm

That's good news! I'll download it tomorrow and give it a try.
It's been some days now since it's release. Have yo tried it yet? Do you need to de-install the old ISE before installing the new one? Does you old licence file still work?
How can you tell the difference between the old and the new version? Both are version 14.7. I would have expected that they would have named it ISE 14.8.
Questions...questions...

Best regards,

GNF
-- The source doesn't lie, Use the source! --

gnewtonaus

Post by gnewtonaus » January 3rd, 2018, 8:52 am

I'm new to the Mojo and have just today unboxed and got started. It's been waiting for me to be on holidays.
I downloaded this ISE 14.7 for Win 10. Turns out it is a pre-built VM running inside Oracle VirtualBox. The guest OS is Oracle Linux 64-bit.

I finally got things to work with the Mojo after some effort.
I needed to:-
1. Map a Shared Folder into the VM for Mojo IDE (on Win 10) to be able to share files with ISE (in the VM).
In hindsight I should just run Mojo IDE in the Linux VM - doh!
2. Install VirtualBox Extensions (make sure you get the same version as the VirtualBox) so it can support USB 2.0 and USB 3.0
3. The USB-Serial is not mapped at all in this VM, so I needed to create a "filter" in the USB setup for the VM. VirtualBox detects the Mojo and fills in all the right settings automatically. This allows the Mojo USB device to appear within the guest OS in the VM, as shown when running ""lsusb"" command.
4. Linux gurus will already know they have to map the USB-Serial (I'm only novice and took me hours to find out everything). Running the command...
sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=0x29dd product=0x8001
caused the Mojo to appear as the serial port ttyUSB0 in the Mojo Loader (or IDE if you're using that).

In the VM, the default user appears to be '"ise" and the root password appears to be "xilinx".

Hopefully this helps someone else out.

Regards,
Greg

gnewtonaus

Post by gnewtonaus » January 3rd, 2018, 10:29 pm

Update to my previous post for this "Win 10" ISE. Now that I've learnt some more it seems that it's best just to keep the ISE as a build-only engine, just like you guys do already.
Because the initial tutorial is all in ISE, I've installed Mojo Loader in Win 10, Mojo IDE in Win 10 and ISE is in the VM as supplied by Xilinx.
Trying to get Mojo loader to work in the VM was just wasting too much time and isn't necessary.

So the only link between Mojo+ISE (VM) now is the Shared Folder so they can both access the project files.
Mojo IDE (and/or ISE) for Development,
Mojo Loader for burning the binary into the board.

All working. Lovin the Mojo!
Thanks.

Flux

Post by Flux » January 5th, 2018, 10:35 am

I ran the installer only to find that Windows 10 compatibility is provided by VirtualBox virtualization. This seems like a bad kludge, rather than providing proper support for Spartan 6 devices on Windows 10. I decided not to proceed with the installation.

I've decided to accept that Spartan-6 support is dead on modern Windows and Linux and focus my future Xilinx FPGA projects on series 7 FPGAs. I look forward to seeing the new Mojo board with Artix-7 FPGA.

gnewtonaus

Post by gnewtonaus » January 5th, 2018, 7:50 pm

Further update to my previous 2 posts...
Seems that to run the Mojo IDE (so can do the Lucid tutorials) one needs to be on either Win 7 or Ubuntu.
The Mojo IDE running on Win 10 can't run the ISE in the (Xilinx supplied) VM to build projects.
The Mojo IDE crashes when running on the Oracle Linux x64 (Redhat) VM.

Gonna have to run it all on a Win7 machine - doh!

GNF

Post by GNF » January 6th, 2018, 3:14 pm

Flux wrote:I ran the installer only to find that Windows 10 compatibility is provided by VirtualBox virtualization. This seems like a bad kludge, rather than providing proper support for Spartan 6 devices on Windows 10. I decided not to proceed with the installation.
Oh oh. That doesn't sound right. I'm glad I asked then! :shock:
Flux wrote:I've decided to accept that Spartan-6 support is dead on modern Windows and Linux and focus my future Xilinx FPGA projects on series 7 FPGAs.
What dev boards (besides a new series 7 FPGA based Mojo), are you considering?
Flux wrote: I look forward to seeing the new Mojo board with Artix-7 FPGA.
Me too, as long as they are affordable :)

GNF

GNF

Post by GNF » January 6th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Found this:
https://www.xilinx.com/support/document ... dows10.pdf

It is indeed an Oracle Virtualbox with ISE 14.7 installed (and licensed for one user) running on an Oracle Linux Virtual Machine with Host-only-Networking mode enabled by default. According to the document "This means that the ISE Virtual Machine does not have Internet access and can only access the Windows 10 host machine". Seems that networking can be enabled using the NAT option in the Virtual Box. Looks like a huge workaround to me. But if it will prolong the life of my Mojo and my other cheap Spartan 6 based boards I'll take it as is.

GNF

mkav

Post by mkav » January 30th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Hello People!

I have been using ISE on Windows 10 for over a year now and apart some crashes on some functions, synthesis etc. seems to be working fine. What problems do you encounter?